Marieke Krijnen, PhD
Amsterdam | The Netherlands | Permanent Resident, Canada
+31 (0) 6-4966-5025 |email@example.com
Editor: copyediting, language editing, and structural editing of non-fiction work. Skilled researcher (social science). Seven years’ experience in (academic) research and project management. Passionate about professional editorial standards, professional communication, planning projects, and helping authors express their ideas clearly. Very responsible, organized, communicative, and meticulous. Member of Editors Canada and SENSE Netherlands. Working towards obtaining editing certificate at Queens University, Canada.
Copyediting, language editing, stylistic editing
Research, analysis, and writing
Project and event management
Teaching and presentation
|2017–current||Editor (English and Dutch)
Self-employed, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Editor.
-Editing and manuscript development for dozens of clients (academic, non-profit, commercial).
-Proofreader and copyeditor, Terreform Urban Research (New York).
-Copyeditor and translator for Dutch website Global Academic Press.
-MotivIndex, Toronto: digital ethnography assignments for corporate clients.
-Consultant for academic research projects/NGO reports.
AUB Policy Institute, Beirut, Lebanon.-Conceptualized, researched, and coordinated workshops.
-Desk research on housing issues.
American University of Beirut, Lebanon.-Developed and taught course materials.
-Trained students in fieldwork, writing, and research skills.
-Assessed and evaluated students’ progress and learning process.
Orient-Institut Beirut, Lebanon.-Developed, implemented, and published research on the real estate and finance sectors in Lebanon.
-Organized international conference on the same topic.
Department of Conflict and Development, Ghent University, Belgium.
-Developed, implemented, and published research on real estate development in Beirut.
-Acquired data through interviewing, data analysis, mapping, etc.
-Received training in qualitative data analysis.
-Developed and taught course materials.
-Assessed and evaluated students’ assignments and exams.
-Organized international workshop.
MAJAL Academic Urban Observatory, Beirut, Lebanon.-Developed research on gentrification in Beirut.
-Designed and managed a mapping project.
-Developed and tested data collection methodologies.
|2002–2006||Administrative Juridical Registration Clerk
Land Registry, Apeldoorn/Amsterdam, The Netherlands.-Verified and registered property and mortgage records.
-Completed training course in real-estate law.
|2018–current||Professional Editing Standards Certificate
Queens University, Canada.
|2011–2016||Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Political Science and Urban Studies
Ghent University, Belgium.
|2007–2010||Master of Arts, Middle East Studies
American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
|2004–2007||Bachelor of Arts, Humanistics
University of Humanistic Studies, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
|2014||Comparative and Global Social Futures
Oslo Summer School, Oslo University, by Prof. Akhil Gupta.
|2012–2014||Doctoral Schools training
Ghent University Doctoral Training Program.
Economic Theory and History of the Eastern Mediterranean; Arabic Literary Texts I; Modern Arabic I; Economic Globalisation; Political Geography; NVivo 9 Qualitative Data Analysis; ARC GIS; Slide Design.
- Successfully organized and managed a number of events:
- Workshops for MA-students (2015 and 2017), including published report.
- International conferences (2014 and 2017), seminar and conference panel (2017)
- Published my research in high-ranking journals, most recently:
- Krijnen M (2018) Gentrification and the creation and formation of rent gaps. Opening up gentrification theory to global forces of urban change. CITY 22(3): 437–446.
- Krijnen M (2018) Beirut and the creation of the rent gap. Urban Geography 39(7): 1041–1059.
- Presented my work at over fourteen international conferences, including:
- Royal Geographical Society-IBG International Conference (2017, 2016, 2012)
- Global Conference on Economic Geography (2015)
- Middle East Studies Association Annual Meeting (2013)
- American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting (2012)
- World Congress of Middle East Studies (2010)
- Was granted several research/travel awards, including:
- Award for best paper and presentation, Nordic Geographers Meeting, Stockholm (2017).
- Full PhD-research grant and fieldwork budget, Special Research Fund (BOF), Ghent University (2011).
|English||Proficient (IETLS test-score (2018): Band 9, Expert User)|
|Arabic||High intermediate Lebanese, intermediate Modern Standard Arabic|